FYIs and FAQs

FMU students are required to use their FMU email address when communicating with the Office of Housing and Residential Life, and all university offices.

Q: What is an RA?

Resident Assistants (often referred to as RAs) are undergraduate students who live in the residence halls and respond to issues related to life in on-campus housing. They also facilitate educational, cultural, and social programs that foster a feeling of community within their residence hall.

Q: What is an RHC?

Residential Hall Coordinators (often referred to as RHCs) are professional staff members who live in the residence halls. They oversee move-in and move-out, room reassignments and low-level conduct violations. RHCs supervise the RAs in their building and serve on a regular on-call schedule to handle emergencies outside of business hours.

Q: What is the cost of housing? How much does it cost to live on campus?

See rates here: Fiscal Year 2023-2024

Q: Do I need a meal plan?

All residents must have a meal plan.

See rates here: Fiscal Year 2023-2024

Q: Is campus housing available for first-year students?

Campus housing is available to students who have been fully accepted to the university and are enrolled in classes for the upcoming academic semester. New students are required to pay a $250 non-refundable housing deposit. They are also required to pay the $200 Admissions Enrollment fee.

All incoming and returning students are required to submit a $250.00 non-refundable housing fee, complete the housing application by the posted deadline and register for 12 credit hours for the Fall semester (6 credit hours for summer B)

Q: Can graduate students live in on-campus housing?

No. Graduate students are not permitted to live on campus. Only undergraduate students are allowed to live on campus.

Q: Where do new/first year students live?

Male-identifying students live in Goode Hall and female-identifying students live in Robinson Hall.

Q: Where do upperclassmen live?

Upper-class students live in the LLC residence halls. They are all single gender buildings. No on campus housing co-ed options.

Q: Where do I get my FMU credentials?

New students should receive their FMU credentials (email, username, and password) via email once they have completed all the required documents and payments based on instructions from Admissions.

If a student is having difficulty accessing their username and password, they should contact CyberZone.

Q: What is Housing and Residence Life doing to protect and support students during COVID-19?

We are holding some rooms offline that will be designated for isolation and quarantine. These I/Q rooms are for students who test positive for COVID-19 or are in close proximity to someone who tested positive for COVID-19. These rooms will be cleaned by professional staff. Students who are assigned to I/Q will be provided with meal delivery, contact information for health providers on campus and in the Miami-Dade area, and will have regular communication with our contact tracing staff and housing staff.

Per guidance from the CDC, residential students who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to isolate. Students who are in close proximity with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 will be required to quarantine. If we have available rooms on campus, the student will be required to isolate or quarantine in the designated isolation room. If we do not have any available rooms on campus, the student will need to isolate off-campus.

For more information, please review FMU’s Protect the Pride Plan.

Q: Can I pick my room?

Yes, you can. Once you have cleared the necessary offices, filled out the Housing Application, and submitted your Housing Deposit, you can select your room. First-Year students are required to live in Robinson or Goode Hall, depending on their gender-identity. Returning students typically live in one of our Living and Learning Community (LLC) buildings.

Q: What size are the beds?

Each room comes with a Twin XL bed frame and mattress. You will need to bring your own bed linens.

Q: What type of furniture is provided in each room?

Each student has a desk, desk chair, bed, dresser and closet space/wardrobe.

Q: Will there be an area around my hall to load my car?

We have designated parking areas for each hall where students can load/unload their belongings.

Q: What is the mailing address for my hall?

To receive letters and packages students should use the University’s address:

15800 NW 42nd Ave
Miami Gardens, FL 33054

The campus mail room is located in the J.C. Sams building on campus.

Q: Is the campus safe?

Florida Memorial University prioritizes the safety of all community members by having Campus Safety staff on a 24 hour schedule. FMU is a closed campus, and Campus Safety monitors the entry and exit point as well as completing regular rounds of the campus. Housing and Residence Life has RHCs and RAs in each hall to ensure a safe and welcoming environment.

Q: In my residence hall, who can I go to with questions and concerns?

You can always contact your RA with any concerns. If your concerns are unable to be addressed by the RA, please contact your hall’s RHC; they are available on the first floor of your hall Monday-Friday during regular business hours. Outside of business hours, you can reach out to the RA On Duty. The RA On Duty works each evening from 6:00 P.M. – 12:00 A.M. doing rounds and desk duty.

Q: Are there special events for residents during the weekend?

The RAs and RHC in your hall host great opportunities to have fun and build community in your hall through the year. Programs are how we keep you engaged with the community!

Q: How do I do my laundry?

There are laundry rooms located in each residence hall. Each wash cycle is $1.50 and each dryer cycle is $1.25. Students can pay for laundry with their personal credit/debit card or by loading money onto their Student ID card.

Q: How do I report repairs needed in my room?

Students can submit work order requests:

Once submitted, the work order will be reviewed by our Facilities staff.

Q: Do the residence halls remain open during holidays and breaks?

The residence halls typically remain open for Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break. For Winter and Summer Breaks, the residence halls close. The Housing Contract lists all opening and closing dates for residence halls and is updated each year to reflect the academic calendar.

Q: Do students have to remove all of their belongings from their rooms during breaks?

Students are allowed to leave belongings in their room at the end of the Fall Semester in December. However, they must show proof of registering for Spring classes and clearing the necessary offices. Students who do not clear or who are not returning for spring semester are required to fully vacate their rooms by removing all belongings & return their room key. We encourage students to always take sentimental and valuable items home with them on school breaks.

Q: Are the halls open for the summer?

Students who are registered for 6 credit hours and paid the summer $250 non-refundable housing deposit can apply for on-campus housing for each summer session. ALL students must have cleared the Business Office.

Q: I am new student and I have questions about on-campus housing.

Please contact the Housing and Residence Life main office for specific questions. You can email or call (305) 626-3718.