Office of Field Experience
The Office of Field Experiences provides the university with the policies and procedures for entering into any public, private or charter school in Miami-Dade, Broward, Monroe or the Palm Beach counties.
Any Florida Memorial University employees anticipating a visitation to the private, public, chartered and/or parochial schools in Dade, Broward, or Palm Beach Counties a fingerprint clearance is mandatory prior to entering the designated school.
The field services office provides the following:
- Placement of Pre-Student Teachers and Student Interns
- Assign School Supervisors to monitor students in the field
- Make contacts with all schools in Metro-Dade County and school board administrators
- Contact with Broward and Palm Beach School Board Administrators concerning observations and/or placement in their schools
- Provide information on the fingerprinting process for Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
Contact Mrs. Angela Williams for procedures (305) 623-4279
Location: FIU/FMU Room 231
Teacher Education Internship
The internship experience provides the vehicle for teacher trainees to demonstrate teacher competencies by connecting the theoretical with the practical experiences through implementation of the teaching process.
Application and Completion
The Professional Education Program concludes with the Education Internship. An Application must be completed by the announced deadline one semester prior to the internship experience. Internship is completed during the last semester of the senior year.
Admission to Teacher Education Internship
Before applying for internship, students must be fully accepted into the Professional Education Program, including passing all subsections of the General Knowledge Examination (see above admission requirements). Students must also complete all required education courses. Acceptance into the Education Internship Program is granted by the Professional Education Program faculty committee. Additionally, to qualify for acceptance into the internship program, students must first satisfy the following requirements:
- An overall GPA 2.5 or higher
- A typed one page essay on “My Philosophy of Education”
- Successful completion of 150 clock hours in pre-student teaching experiences or the equivalent with average or above average evaluations
- Successful completion of the Professional section of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE)
- Completion of local school districts/school requirements including a background clearance