What is Counseling?

Counseling is a collaborative effort between the counselor and client. Professional counselors help clients identify goals and potential solutions to problems which cause emotional turmoil; seek to improve communication and coping skills; strengthen self-esteem; and promote behavior change and optimal mental health. (https://www.counseling.org/aca-community/learn-about-counseling/what-is-counseling).

The support services include: advice and consultations for conflict resolution and problem-solving; advocacy; assistance and support during crisis and emergencies; case management, coordinating psychiatric assessments and/or consult with psychiatrist, internships, volunteering, referrals to community providers and agencies for additional support.

*Counseling and Psychotherapy are interchangeable terms.

How long does Counseling take?

Ideally, counseling is terminated when the problem that you pursued counseling for becomes more manageable or is resolved.

Who is eligible for counseling services?

Full-time and part-time students currently registered and enrolled in undergraduate/graduate degree programs at Florida Memorial students. Services include: individual, group, and couple’s counseling ; psychiatric evaluation and medication management; crisis intervention; and referrals to community providers and agencies.

How to make an appointment?

Please call 305.626.3138 to schedule appointment. Walk-ins are welcome! If counselor is available, counselor will assist student appropriately. However, please understand preference will be given to students with scheduled appointments unless emergency and/or crisis.

What happens in the initial consultation or intake session?

Counselor and client will discuss the distressing issue. Counselor will help client to determine what he/she expects to gain from therapy. Sometimes assessments will be completed during the initial consult and/or intake. Counselor and client will create a plan to accomplish goals.

Who performs psychiatric evaluations?

UCSS has established working rapport with a psychiatrist who conducts evaluations, medication management, and linkage to community services. Students must be referred to a psychiatrist via a counselor. UCSS does not provide “medication-only” treatments, but will help you access quality providers in the community if you are looking for medication management only.

What if I need a referral for private therapy?

UCSS short term counseling focus, or if recommended resources are not available within the University, your counselor will refer you to private therapy or other appropriate community mental health resources. Examples of this include circumstances in which longer-term, more intensive, or more specialized treatment are indicated (e.g., substance abuse treatment/ IOP, Psychosocial rehabilitation). The cost of these types of therapeutic interventions are not covered via student fees.

FacebookTwitterLinkedinInstagramYoutubeOnline ResourcesCoronavirus