Course Categories

Where can I go for on campus for counseling or support if I need to talk to someone?

The Florida Memorial University (FMU) campus community, inclusive of its faculty, staff and students have full access to the Student Development Center (SDC) for counseling and support services. The SDC is located in the J.C. Sam’s Building.

Start Course

How do I make an appointment?

Appointments may be scheduled by calling the SDC at 305626-3138 and asking for a counseling appointment. You will be asked for your phone number so the secretary can call or text to remind you of the appointment. Please let the staff know if you do not want the reminder call or text. You may also email the SDC at CounselingCenter_Group@FMUNlV.EDU. This email address is only for non-urgent appointments.

Start Course

How much does it cost?

Counseling and support services are offered at no cost to the FMU campus community.

Start Course

Will a record of my counseling services be kept confidential?

Counseling records are not a part of your academic record. They are also kept separately from your medical records. They are covered by special confidentiality laws including HIPAA and various other state and local laws. There are exceptions to confidentiality which your counselor can discuss with you. If you need information to be provided to any other person, you should ask your counselor to have you sign a Release of Information form.

Start Course

What do I do if I need medications?

If you are in need of mental health medications, you will need to be referred off campus to a psychiatrist for a medication assessment and review. The counselor will assist in gathering information which will help the psychiatrist.

Start Course

What should I do in case of emergency or other urgent situation?

There is access to a counselor Monday— Friday from 8am — 5pm when the college is in session. If you need to speak to a counselor urgently after hours, contact your Residential Director. They have access to counseling and support resources, If your issue is regarding safety, immediately contact Campus Safety at 305-626-3771. In the case of a medical emergency, call 911 first, for an ambulance before calling the Residential Director or Campus Safety.

Start Course

What should I expect from counseling?

The counselor will talk to you about the issues and help you to identify your own personal goals for counseling. For example, this could be improving how you manage feelings, or dealing more effectively with relationships. Counseling works best as a collaboration between you and the counselor. The counselor may ask questions to help understand your feelings and thoughts and how they affect your life. The counselor may make direct suggestions or may refer you to a more appropriate professional.

Start Course

Are there other counseling services on campus?

The chaplains’ office, the student life office, and the staff of residential life all offer supportive counseling. Many students receive support from advisors, faculty, mentors, and other members of the FMU college campus community.

Start Course

Can I ask for a referral to an off campus therapist?

The SDC is familiar with off campus therapists and can assist you in finding an appropriate person. All fees for off campus therapists are the responsibility of the student.

Start Course

InstagramYoutubeOnline ResourcesCoronavirus