Florida Memorial University Admissions Application Requirement:

Florida Memorial University seeks to attract students who have the potential for success and who represent the necessary personal and academic qualities to derive maximum benefit from the programs offered by the university. The is no application fee to apply to Florida Memorial University. The requirements for admission to the university are outlined below:

Freshman Admissions Requirements:
  1. 2.4 GPA or Higher
  2. Official High School Transcript or GED test scores
  3. ACT or SAT Test Scores (for placement purposes only)
International Admission Requirements:
  1. 2.4 GPA or higher
  2. Official high school and/or university transcripts (transfer only)
  3. Notarized Affidavit of Support
  4. Bank Statement
  5. TOFEL Scores
  6. ACT or SAT Test Scores (for placement purposes only)
Transfer Admission Requirements:
  1. 2.0 GPA or higher
  2. Official copies of all college/university transcripts

Florida Memorial’s history and traditions reach back to 1879 in Live Oak, FL.

On November 11, 1968, the new campus opened as Florida Memorial College, a 48-acre former airstrip near Opalocka now known as Miami Gardens, FL.

In 2004, Florida Memorial College changed its name to Florida Memorial University.

Over 1100


The University offers 27 undergraduate degree programs and 3 master’s programs.

  • There are six residence halls on campus:
  • Goode Hall, Robinson Hall, Living Learning Center 1, 2, 3 & 4


Yes, Florida Memorial University is a private Institution.

Florida Memorial University is one of the 39 member institutions of the United Negro College Fund (UNCF).

Yes, Florida Memorial University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelors and master’s degrees. The University is also chartered by the State of Florida.

There are many types of aid available to help you pay for the costs of tuition and fees at Florida Memorial University. Our Financial Aid Office will work hard to make sure you are informed about the many types of aid available to you and guide you through the process of securing financial assistance, such as FSAG, FRAG, SEOG, Work Study, Stafford Loans, Federal Grants and many more.

Yes, Academic, athletics, Jazz bands, Music, and other college related scholarships.

Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Eta R1105 Alpha Kappa Delta, Alpha Kappa Mu, Alpha Phi Alpha, Bahamian Connections, Black Males of Excellences Black Women of Excellence, Caribbean International Student Association, Chapter. 3 Poetry, Club Haiti, Delta Sigma Theta, Eclat Modeling Troop, Faces Modeling Troop, Freshman Class, Future Educators of America, Gamma Beta Chi, Gospel Choir, Honors Council, House Arrest 210ta Phi Thetas Jamaica Student Association, Junior Class, Kappa Alpha Psi, Lambda Beta Chi, Lions for Justice, Lion Country Peer Educators, NAACP National Association of Black Journalists, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Omega Psi Phi, PRSSA, Phi Beta Sigma, Pre Alumni, Counsel, Senior Class, Sigma Gamma Rho, Sociology Club, Sophomore Class, Virgin Islands Student Association, Women of Character, Women in Aviation, Youth Alive Bible Club, Zeta Phi Beta




Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, all applicants are encouraged to meet the following deadlines for admissions: Fall Semester— April 15 th Spring Semester — November I st

76% are Florida residents, 12% are from out of state (including the U.S. Virgin Islands) and 12% are International students, primarily from the Caribbean-Bahamas, Jamaica, Haiti, Africa, Europe, and Spain.

Yes, applicants in the top 20% of their graduating class are eligible to participate in the program.

Men & Women Basketball, JV Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Football, Cheerleading, Soccer, Baseball, JV Baseball, Softball, Cross Country, Track & Field, and Women Volleyball

Students are not required to live on campus.

Yes students are allowed to have cars on campus.

No we do not have co-ed housing.

Criminal Justice, Business Administration, Psychology, and Biology

We offer students a partial scholarship, full cost tuition, and presidential scholarship.

Load More

Financial Aid

Complete a FAFSA, Request your Federal Student Aid Identification known as your FSA ID, this will serve as your electronic signature. Parents of dependent students will also need to request a FSA ID to sign the FAFSA. The FAFSA form is free. There is no good excuse for not applying.

You can ask your guidance counselor for a copy or you can also get the FAFSA by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID. The easiest way to apply is using the online version of the form which is available at http://www.studentaid.gov.

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at Florida Memorial University.

You cannot submit the form before this deadline because the FAFSA uses your financial information from the prior tax year when calculating eligibility for the upcoming award year.

Yes, Florida Memorial University requires that you apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances changei you may get more or less aid. Note that Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on your making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

Award letters are issued after all documents have been submitted and reviewed by our staff. Once you have been award, your award letter will be sent to the email address on your FAFSA. If you are a returning student, your award letter will be emailed to your FMU email address. Students can also view their awards by logging into the Lion Aid System.

No. Parents are, however, responsible for the Federal PLUS loans. In general you and you alone are responsible for repaying your educational loans. Note that if a parent is denied approval of a Federal PLUS loan, the student is eligible for an additional unsubsidized loan up $4,000.00 more.

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of financial support from sources other than Florida Memorial University, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office.

The additional funds are added to the award letter to help students with clearing the Student Accounts & Bursar’s Offices.

Visit the United Negro College Fund website and create a profile, complete the general application and also view the updated Scholarship listing. https://scholarships.uncf.org.

Private/Alternative loans can help bridge the remaining gap from the awarded amount compared to the amount needed to meet the cost of attendance, Florida Memorial University also offers tuition payment plans which require monthly payments arrangements.

If you have accepted all awards and are not a first-time borrower (who must wait 30 days for loans to disburse) your financial aid will be disbursed the Monday after the add/drop period ENDS, each semester. When this disbursement creates an eligible refund due to you, it will be processed by the Student Accounts office within 7-14 business days after the credit occurs on your account. Please note that institutional aid in access of direct charges (which include tuition, fees, room & board) cannot result in a cash refund. Institutional aid can only cover up to the total of a student’s direct charges. Any excess will be reduced and applied to the need of another qualifying student.

To apply for financial aid, you will need to visit www.fafsa.ed.gov and complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide on the application determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and federal loans based on financial need. Also review the school’s website www.fmuniv.edu to determine if you need to complete and submit additional forms/documents.

Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA) to apply for financial aid as soon as possible after Jan. 1, regardless of the date you begin college. Applications submitted on or before March 15 are given priority consideration for many types of aid. You must apply for financial aid each year.

Yes! Every year you will need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid. Free Application for Federal Student Aid are available January 1 of year for the upcoming academic year.

You must indicate your marital status as of the date you are completing the FAFSA application. You cannot update your FAFSA due to a change in your marital status. You may wait until you are married to file as married on your FAFSA.

Your Student Aid Report (SAR) should be available three to five days after you submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). If you don’t receive an e-mail about your SAR, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243) or go to the FAFSA website and select “Check Status of a Submitted FAFSA”.

Your need for financial assistance is determined by many different factors, such as the number of people in your family’s household, how many people are in college, your family’s income, etc.

The financial information you and your family provide on your FAFSA is analyzed by the federal need analysis processor using “Federal Methodology,” a standard formula established by the U.S. Congress. It is used by the federal processor to calculate expected family contribution (EFC)—how much individual students and their familiesare expected to contribute toward their educational expenses. After analyzing your financial information, the federal processor sends the results to the university, indicating how much you and your family should be able to contribute toward your education. If the cost of attendance at Florida Memorial University is greater than what the processor indicates is your family’s expected contribution, then the university considers you to have financial need.

Cost of Attendance

– Family Contribution
= Financial Need

Cost of Attendance includes tuition/fees, books and supplies, housing, food, transportation, clothing maintenance, and personal items/health insurance. Expected Family Contribution consists of expected parental contribution and/or student contribution, depending upon the student’s classification (dependent or independent). The methodology used by the federal processor takes into account the family’s income and assets, employment costs, living expenses, taxes, family size, and the number of family members in college.

The Higher Education Act of 1992 set requirements for establishing a student’s independence status. These questions are used to determine whether a student is considered a “dependent” or “independent” student. Please see these questions to determine your dependency status.

If you answer YES to any of the following questions, you are considered independent and do not have to provide information about your parents on your FAFSA.

If you answer NO to all of the questions, you are dependent and must provide information about your parents on your FAFSA.

  • Were you born before January 1, 1990?
  • Are you married? (answer yes if separated but not divorced)
  • Are you working on a master’s or doctorate program?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Do you have children and provide more than half of their support?
  • At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a ward or dependent of the court?
  • Do you have dependents (other than children or my spouse) who live with you for which you provide more than half of their support?
  • Has it been decided by a court in your state of legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that you are in a legal guardianship?
  • Are you homeless or at risk of being homeless

If your parents are divorce or separated, give information about the parent you lived with most in the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give information about the parent who provided you the most financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent year you received support. If your divorced or widowed parent has remarried, also provide information about your stepparent.

If your parents are not required to file an income tax return, they will need to calculate their earnings for the year. Use W-2 forms and other records to answer the questions in the income section of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It is best to use a completed income tax return to fill out this application. However, if your parents do not have a completed income tax return, they should calculate their adjusted gross income (AGI) and taxes paid using the applicable IRS instructions.”

If a student withdraws or is withdrawn from all courses on or before the withdraw deadlines, the student will be required to repay all or part of the financial assistance disbursed in that term. If you are a financial aid recipient and are thinking about dropping your classes or withdrawing from the college, please consult an academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to be sure you understand the consequences of this decision.

You will receive a refund to your FMU My-I-Pay-U debit MasterCard, a check or deposited directly into your bank account when the amount of the disbursements received on your behalf is greater than the amount owed for tuition, fees, room, board and books.

Financial Aid Suspension results when a student fails to meet the minimum requirements for two consecutive terms or more. This status is also for any student who has failed to meet the requirements of an assigned Financial Aid Academic Plan. A student in this status is not eligible for financial aid. Please visit our SAP policy https://www.fmuniv.edu/financial-aid/satisfactory-academic-progress/

You will be notified via your FMU student email, once a decision has been rendered. The Financial Aid SAP Appeals Committee will contact you by phone or via your FMU student email if any additional documentation is required. All SAP decisions are final.

Verification is a process of confirming data supplied by the applicant and/or parents on the financial aid applications. Through the verification process discrepancies on students’ financial aid applications are resolved. If your application is selected for verification or if there are discrepancies on your aid application information, you will be required via e-mail, phone call or letter to submit specific forms/documents to the Office of Financial Aid.

Aid funds cannot be disbursed to you until you have submitted all requested documents and the accuracy of your information has been checked. The review process can take three to four weeks or longer.

If you/your family have extenuating financial circumstances, check with your financial aid adviser to see if the changes might affect your financial aid application. Examples include:

1. Divorce of parents or you from your spouse
2. Death of a major wage earner
3. Loss of employment of a major wage earner
4. Loss of other income or benefits (such as child support)

– Family Contribution
= Financial Need

Cost of Attendance includes tuition/fees, books and supplies, housing, food, transportation, clothing maintenance, and personal items/health insurance. Expected Family Contribution consists of expected parental contribution and/or student contribution, depending upon the student’s classification (dependent or independent). The methodology used by the federal processor takes into account the family’s income and assets, employment costs, living expenses, taxes, family size, and the number of family members in college.

Load More

Residential Life Housing

First start with the Admission office. The housing application can be found on the university website by clicking on Residential Life Application and forms button, Itis important to print and fill out the forms complete before returning to the housing office. Even if you have not yet been admitted, you may still fill out a paper Housing Application prior to receiving your acceptance letter form the Admission office. A non-refundable room deposit is required $300.00 for new students and $250.00 for returning students before your application will be considered. You can do a roommate request or room preferences. We make every effort to accommodate your request for specific facilities or room type; however, due to high demand for housing, this cannot be guaranteed, Each applicants is required to complete a FAFS with the financial Aid office.

Housing assignments for first-year students are made by the Residential Life housing office Your preference will be taken in consideration.

Students may choose their residence hall, depending on availability.

Yes, we feel confident that there will be many ways for you to build meaningful connections with other roommates, floor-mates throughout your first year at FMU.

Remember, you may not have room for everything you want to bring. Go to the university website to Move In Day. Click on suggested Items to bring.

Please refer to the academic calendar on the university website for the official arrival and move-in days for both new and returning students.

Keys will be distributed from the Residential Hall Director that you are assigned to. Please be sure to bring a photo ID for identification purposes. Please notify our office if you have an issue with arriving during our posted hours at 305-626-3718 or 305-626-3108.

If you were granted permission to return to campus prior to your official arrival date, please follow the instructions provided to you by your sponsor and/or Residential Life. Arrivals that occur during the week (Monday – Friday) should make every effort to check-in between 8:30a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Arrivals on the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) are limited from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Please notify our office if you have an issue with arriving during our posted hours at 305-626-3718.

If you have a specific housing need, rooms are available upon documentation. These rooms are limited.

Your meal plan is part of your tuition and fees. Your meal plan begins check — in day. Please visit the dining services on the university web page for more information regarding dining locations, menus, and hours of operation.

Yes, in the traditional/suites residence halls each resident is responsible for cleaning their distinct area of the room. The suite styles are jointly responsible for the unit living room, bathroom and kitchenette.

One long twin side bed, dresser draws, Study desk, closet and mirror.

Each traditional residence hall has a community styles bathroom, suite styles have private bathroom, lobby and lounge, recreational area with a TV and DVD player connection, couches and chairs, Laundry facilities and study lounges/computer labs can also be found in each hall.

In the traditional halls the number of students sharing a bathroom depends on the living area, ranging from 40 to 50 students on a wing/floor. In some suite-style living two to a unit share a common bathroom.

According to university policy, the loss of a room key requires the replacement of the lock mechanism as well as the cutting of new keys. Students who lose their keys will be charged for these services. If you should lose your key, please visit the Office of Residential Life to report your key lost. Upon checking out from a university residence, the key(s) must be returned to a Residential Life staff member.

The Facilities Department is responsible for power or plumbing failures as well as any general repairs. Any damage or malfunction in a student room or common area should be reported immediately through the Hall Director.

No. You are required to keep the furniture that is provided in your room. You are also responsible for the condition and location of the furniture that you were provided.

If your wireless connection is not working, or if you are experiencing wireless connection problems, you should contact the Help Desk Consultant at 305-623-1413.

Contact the Help Desk Consultant at 305-623-1413

Yes, here are a few:
owe must abide by Florida State Law, so the use of alcohol by those under the age of 21 is strictly prohibited.

  • Drugs and other illegal substances are not permitted.
  • We want students to live in an environment that is conducive to sleep and study, so we ask that students abide by quiet hours, which begin at a specific time each night. 024-hour courtesy hours are always in effect.
  • we ask that all students treat each other with respect and civility, and that they live by a mutually acceptable set of community standards.
  • Co-ed visitation is not permitted.
  • Using Fire Exit doors is not permitted for non-emergancies.

Load More

Office of Student Activities

There are many opportunities to get involved with the Office of Student Activities. Student Activities has an open door policy, a simple visit to our office for upcoming social and educational events can and will be provided. The goal to engage our students both on and off-campus are achieved through publications, social media outlets and volunteer opportunities.

Life-long friends, gain a sense of belonging, learn how to network and communicate with others.

Events & Activities

Student organizations create excitement and enthusiasm through their numerous events and activities. These events reflect the culture, personality, and diversity of the student body and student organizations, Student organization events educate, entertain, and enrich the university community.

Community Involvement

Yes! We strive to offer students a number of opportunities to volunteer in the community or on campus.

Leadershi Pro rammin

There are a variety of curricular and co-curricular leadership programming experiences that students can partake in while at EMU. We know that employers are looking for students that can talk about their leadership experiences and skills in a job interview, Below are ways that students can gain these experiences and learn more about themselves and their leadership abilities.

  • Student Govemment Association o Royal COU1t
  • Greek Life

Student Organizations

In addition to the sequence above, we encourage students to hold a leadership role in the various classifications (Senior, Junior, Sophomore and Freshmen levels) at some point during their time at FMU.

Yes. Student Organization must register each year to with SGA to participate in campus activities.

Any student can join a campus organization. However, some organizations have specific membership requirements. To find out more information about a particular organization, please contact the office of Student Activities at (305) 626-3103.

All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled for courses in spring 2020 can choose to be graded on Pass/Unsatisfactory.

No. A student may decide with each class individually in Spring 2020 whether to be graded on a Pass/Unsatisfactory basis.

The Pass/Unsatisfactory grade, whether “Pass” or “Unsatisfactory,” will not be calculated in a student’s GPA.

The credit will be earned, and counted as any other earned credit, however, the assigned grade will not be factored into the calculation of the GPA.

The credit will not be earned, and the assigned grade will not be factored into the calculation of the GPA.

Plans for this process will be broadly communicated before April 20, 2020.

No. Once a student decides to be graded on a Pass/Unsatisfactory basis, the choice will be irrevocable with no appeal. You can still appeal a grade under the Grades Appeal process but not the choice to be graded on a Pass/Unsatisfactory basis.

Your academic advisor, chair/dean’s office, financial aid officer, and any other campus resource with whom you regularly work on decisions related to registration and academic progression will be available to help you. Please seek their advice on what impact selecting to be graded on a Pass/Unsatisfactory basis will have on scholarships (athletics or other), other forms of financial aid, veterans’ benefits, licensure, graduate/professional school admission, and/or other professional goals.

Yes. The “Pass” will be eligible to satisfy subsequent prerequisites, completion of degree requirements and progression standards.

All students will have from April 20, 2020 until May 2, 2020.

No. Incomplete grades assigned at the end of the Spring 2020 semester cann0t be converted to a Pass/Unsatisfactory basis at a later date. The decision must be made during the available window (April 20 – May 2, 2020).

No. Because the Pass/Unsatisfactory option was made available as a result of the impact of COVID-19 on the academic calendar and instruction that followed Spring Break 2020, classes that ended by March 2, 2020 will not be eligible for the Pass/Unsatisfactory grading option.

An “Unsatisfactory” on a Pass/Unsatisfactory basis may negatively impact VA Education Benefits and those implications vary by benefit chapter. Please consult the VA for guidance.

Employers typically do not closely analyze each semester’s grades. Most often, the transcript may be used to verify that a degree was earned or verify a student’s GPA. We anticipate that organizations around the world will view Spring 2020 as a unique semester with unique circumstances that resulted in many universities offering similar opportunities to their students. There will be a statement on your transcript regarding this particular semester’s grading option.

Your financial aid is based on a review of both qualitative (Cumulative GPA) and quantitative (Rate of Complete/PACE) aspects of your academic performance. Your GPA will not be impacted. The quantitative component (PACE) will be impacted. You must still pass 67% of ALL attempted coursework. If you are in jeopardy of losing your financial aid, please consult with the financial aid office. For more information: https://www.fmuniv.edu/financial-aid/satisfactory-academic-progress/

Load More

Student Development Center

The Florida Memorial University (FMU) campus community, inclusive of its faculty, staff and students have full access to the Student Development Center (SDC) for counseling and support services. The SDC is located in the J.C. Sam’s Building.

Appointments may be scheduled by calling the SDC at 305626-3138 and asking for a counseling appointment. You will be asked for your phone number so the secretary can call or text to remind you of the appointment. Please let the staff know if you do not want the reminder call or text. You may also email the SDC at CounselingCenter_Group@FMUNlV.EDU. This email address is only for non-urgent appointments.

Counseling and support services are offered at no cost to the FMU campus community.

Counseling records are not a part of your academic record. They are also kept separately from your medical records. They are covered by special confidentiality laws including HIPAA and various other state and local laws. There are exceptions to confidentiality which your counselor can discuss with you. If you need information to be provided to any other person, you should ask your counselor to have you sign a Release of Information form.

If you are in need of mental health medications, you will need to be referred off campus to a psychiatrist for a medication assessment and review. The counselor will assist in gathering information which will help the psychiatrist.

There is access to a counselor Monday— Friday from 8am — 5pm when the college is in session. If you need to speak to a counselor urgently after hours, contact your Residential Director. They have access to counseling and support resources, If your issue is regarding safety, immediately contact Campus Safety at 305-626-3771. In the case of a medical emergency, call 911 first, for an ambulance before calling the Residential Director or Campus Safety.

The counselor will talk to you about the issues and help you to identify your own personal goals for counseling. For example, this could be improving how you manage feelings, or dealing more effectively with relationships. Counseling works best as a collaboration between you and the counselor. The counselor may ask questions to help understand your feelings and thoughts and how they affect your life. The counselor may make direct suggestions or may refer you to a more appropriate professional.

The chaplains’ office, the student life office, and the staff of residential life all offer supportive counseling. Many students receive support from advisors, faculty, mentors, and other members of the FMU college campus community.

The SDC is familiar with off campus therapists and can assist you in finding an appropriate person. All fees for off campus therapists are the responsibility of the student.

Load More

Health Records, Health Insurance, Accessing Healthcare on Campus

Load More


  • To increase the amount of Black Males graduating from high school
  • Facilitate their admission to college and
  • Significantly increase their chances of earning a college degree.
  • A middle school or high school Black Male in grades 6 through 12. * A depressed grade point average that does not adequately represent the potential of the student,
  • A history of disciplinary problems or the propensity to display irregular behavior.
  • An expressed interest in the program.
  • A willingness to consider post-secondary education after high school. * Any unique situation/problem that makes a student potentially at* risk.
Phase One (6th Grade-12 th Grade)

Academic support activities (Tutoring)

Personal developmental seminars


Career exploration and planning seminars

College orientation and motivational activities

Cultural Field Trips

Phase Two (9th Grade-12 th Grade)

Five (5) weeks of academic experimental instruction.

Five(5) weeks of college residential life.

Lodging, food, books, and classroom materials

Summer matriculation for 9 th through 12 th grade students.

Yes, there is a cost for the program. During the academic year (Phase I), there is no cost for the program. During the summer (Phase Il), there is a fee of $350.00

Yes, we work out payment plans for those families that need financial assistance. In addition, we have community partners that assist the program by sponsoring some students.

Please visit us on www.fmuniv.edu and search Black Male College Explorers Program in the search box. You will find additional information

Please visit us on www.fmuniv.edu and search Black Male College Explorers Program in the search box. There you will find an application. In addition, you can email the program director Shawn Davis and he will be able to assist you with an application. Shawn.davia@fmuniv.edu

Load More

FacebookTwitterLinkedinInstagramYoutubeOnline ResourcesCoronavirus