The STARS (Success Through Academic Retention and Student Engagement) Summer Bridge Program is a six-week academic experience, held during our Summer B Session (June 22nd – July 31st) for college freshmen provisionally admitted to Florida Memorial University. It includes consists of academic courses, advising, tutoring, orientation, leadership experiences, and other college related activities.
This program will give students an opportunity to jumpstart towards a successful college experience, a chance to earn between 6 to 7 college credits, and the opportunity to begin building relationships with other students. Upon successful completion of the program requirements, students will transition into the Fall term.
The tuition and fees associated with the STARS Summer Bridge Program are the responsibility of the student. Students should coordinate with the FMU Office of Financial Aid for information on funding support for the summer sessions, as Pell Grants are available. Applicants must complete both 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 FAFSA, prior to applying to STARS Summer Bridge program.
Participants in the STARS Summer Bridge Program must:
- Register and attend the Lions’ Registration Day program on either on June 11th or June 18th, https://www.fmuniv.edu/summer-2020-lions-registration/
- Take the PERT or other placement tests as directed by the university.
- Read, certify, and submit the application for the program.
- Have already submitted the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 FAFSAs and all supporting documentation requested by the Financial Aid Office.
- Maintain a Summer term GPA of 2.4 or higher with no less than a “C” in one subject area of course work completed in order to transition into the fall semester.
- Attend ALL tutoring, preparatory, recreational activities and workshops.
- Attend ALL weekly meetings with academic advisors. They will provide you with the information, guidance, and access to a network of resources that assist you in maximizing your academic success.
- Obey all university policies and procedures.
If you have any questions regarding the STARS Summer Bridge Program please contact Courtenay McClain at firstname.lastname@example.org or Carla King-Crockett, Associate Director of the Center for Academic Resources and Support (CARS) at email@example.com or 305-626-3666.