The mission of the Department of Social Sciences is to advance the intellectual, analytical, and communication skills of its students as it prepares them for the challenges of a diverse, global society. The Department further aims to nurture character that will enable students to function with proficiency and compassion within the human family. The Department is committed to providing quality instruction, advisement, and mentorship. The faculty encourages and supports student research by providing applied technological learning opportunities in research methods and statistics and assisting students in developing a defensible senior project.
To ensure student achievement, faculty members of the Department of Social Sciences utilize a variety of teaching and evaluation techniques, engage students in research activities, and promote experiential learning through internships and service learning.
- To nurture qualities which will enable students to function with proficiency and compassion within the human family
- To empower students to function in a global society by allowing them opportunities to learn more about them selves and their society
- To develop critical and analytical thinking and writing skills
- To develop leadership skills
- To prepare students for entry into graduate and professional school and
- To prepare students for entry-level positions in government, business, and industry
Departmental Requirements for Graduation
- Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours for graduation
- Students must receive a grade of “C” or better in all major courses
- Students must maintain a G.P.A. of 2.00 or better to graduate
- Graduating seniors must complete an exit examination and senior project prior to graduation