Florida Memorial University (FMU) requires all students applying for financial aid to first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Below are the steps you must follow to complete the FAFSA and apply for financial aid at FMU:
- Your parent (if dependent) and you must first obtain an FSA User ID. The FSA User ID will be used to sign your FAFSA, review your loan activity on the National Student Loan Data Base System and other financial aid systems. You may create or look up your FSA User ID online at: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm. Please write and keep a copy of this ID and password for your records.
- Gather all documents you will need in order to complete the FAFSA. If you are a Dependent student, we will also need each of the below for your parent(s) as well. You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You will also need records of your parent’s income information if you are a dependent student. If you are married, you will need to supply spousal information. By having the below information available, it will ensure you provide accurate information and prevent unnecessary delays:
- Your Social Security Number (if dependent, you will also need your parent(s)
- Your driver’s license Number
- Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your W2 Forms (if you earned income and did not file)
- Your (and your parents if you are dependent) Federal Tax Transcript or Tax Return for the year you are applying. It may be one of the below Federal tax forms. You may order a transcript online at www.irs.gov
- IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
- Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia or Palau
- In addition, you will need FMU’s school code: 001486
NOTE: You are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA application to import your Federal Tax Information onto your FAFSA. This will ensure accuracy and expedite the processing of your aid application.
- Complete the FAFSA at www.studentaid.gov. This application is free. You should never pay to have this form completed. After the FAFSA has been submitted, you can expect to receive a notification that your application was successfully processed.
- Once your FAFSA is processed, it will be electronically provided to FMU within 3-5 business days via an Institutional Student Information Report or ISIR.
- Should your FAFSA/ISIR be selected for verification, you will receive a notification from our KHEAA Verify to notify you if your parent and you must submit a Federal Tax Transcript, a Verification Worksheet, or other documents are required to complete your application for Federal student aid.
- Once your file is complete, your aid eligibility will be determined, and you will be notified electronically of your award eligibility. All initial communications will be sent to the email address provided on your FAFSA. Once your FMU email has been assigned, it will be used for all future communications.
Each year, the U.S. Department of Education selects an estimated 30% of all financial aid applicants for a review of their financial aid information. This review is known as verification and will require certain information to be submitted before financial aid eligibility to be determined. While this is a random selection, making changes and/or reporting inaccurate information can also trigger a verification selection.
Florida Memorial University has partnered with KHEAA to provide an online verification process called KHEAA Verify. All documents required for verification must be submitted via our portal: www.kheaaverify.com/fmu. For a visual of the verification process, click here: (Insert Link to the KHEAA Verify document).
The verification process is not optional and must be completed before any financial aid awards will be offered. The failure to submit verification documentation may delay disbursements.