What is the coronavirus?
- The novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not that same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.
What are the symptoms?
Some common symptoms that have been specifically linked to the 2019 coronavirus include:
- Shortness of breath
- A cough that gets more severe as time passes
- A low-grade fever (common colds do not have fevers)
The full list of symptoms are still being investigated.
How can we prevent catching it?
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
- Maintain at least three feet distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth, if hands have not been thoroughly washed.
What should we do if we think we have symptoms?
- People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.