Rules & Format
Maximum Number of Competitors: 32
Location: The J.C. Sams Student Union
Opening Preliminary Rounds: (32, 16)
Final Rounds: (8, 4, 2)
Times: Participants should arrive for check-in 30 minutes prior to their scheduled game-time. Tournament brackets will be posted in J.C. Sam’s Student Union. NO ID…NO PLAY!
Tournament Difficulty: All Madden
Prizes: ($50 Gift Card to Game Stop)
Each participant agrees as follows:
- Registration: Registration forms can be picked up from the Intramural Sports office. Registration has a $5.00 Entry fee.
- Eligibility and Limitations: Participation is limited to current Florida Memorial University faculty, staff and students with a valid FMU Lion ID card.
- Tournament Preparation:
- Be prepared to play any of the teams in Madden Football.
- There will be no consoles available for warm-up prior to competing.
- It is the responsibility of the competitors to know how to play Madden Football. The Tournament Organizers are not required to provide How‐To‐Play instructions.
- Console and Game Settings:
- All consoles, games, and controllers will be supplied at the event. The Xbox 360 system will be used throughout competition.
- No cheats will be allowed, nor will the use of objects external to the controllers be allowed. Should a participant be caught cheating or using an external object, they will be immediately disqualified.
- Team Selection:
- Once participant has entered tournament, such participant may play with any one of the current 32 (thirty two) NFL teams. The all-time teams/ fantasy teams are not allowed in the Tournament. You must select your team prior to the start of tournament, and you MAY NOT change teams after tournament has started.
- Game Settings:
- Quarter length: 4 minutes; 5 minutes for final four
- Skill: All Madden
- Playbook: Any Madden
- All other settings will default
- Overtime (OT) will decide all ties. If tied after 1 OT, then will play a GRUDGE MATCH and will play regular quarters until there is a score. Must play with same HOME and AWAY teams.
- Updated rosters will be used
- Pre-registration required. If any spots remain open, these will be filled on a first come, first serve basis the day of the event.
- Once the first 32 spots are filled, registration will be closed. Tournament organizers reserve the right to alter the number of available slots at any time.
- All play will take place in the J.C. Sams Activity Center.
- This is single elimination, with no losers’ bracket.
- Tournament seeding will be determined in random fashion by tournament organizers. Please be sure to check in with the beginning play. A valid FMU Lion ID card is required before each game. NO ID…NO PLAY!
- The Tournament format is a 1 vs. 1 format.
- Before each game of the Tournament, the organizer will flip a coin. Winner will decide if he/she wants to be the home or away team.
- This is a single-elimination tournament. No pausing, delays or rewinds allowed. If you do pause a game (using START button), then you must burn a timeout as a penalty. If you have no timeouts left, you will be required to take a penalty (delay of game for offense, or offsides for defense).
- “Skunk Rule”: 25 points more than your opponent at any point in the second half wins the game.
- The winner of each round will be determined by highest point total and will advance to the next round (32-16-8-4-2-1).
- Participants must remain in the Tournament locations until scoring is complete. Leaving the competition area before a completed set may result in disqualification
- Players have 60 seconds, upon notification that they’re next to play, to report to their match or they will face immediate disqualification. We need to keep the event moving in a timely fashion.
- Tournament Conduct and Decisions:
- By participating in the Tournament, competitors agree to be bound by the decisions of the Tournament organizers. Persons who violate any rule, gain unfair advantage in participating in the Tournament, or obtain winner status using fraudulent means will be disqualified. No sideline coaching or gambling on games allowed.
- Unsportsmanlike, disruptive, annoying, harassing or threatening behavior is prohibited. Foul language of any kind will not be permitted or tolerated.
- No memory cards or saved games allowed.
- Shaking, jiggling (looking left and right in rapid succession to shake the screen) is prohibited. Any other action designed to disrupt the opposing player’s view of the field, or ability to select controlled players, is prohibited.
- All scores are final, negative remarks to the Tournament Administrator or personnel of the Tournament Organizers will not be tolerated.
- The Tournament Organizers will interpret these rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims or ambiguities concerning the rules of the Tournament and the Tournament Organizers’ decisions concerning such disputes will be final.
- If the conduct or outcome of the Tournament is affected by human error, any mechanical malfunctions or failures of any kind, intentional interference or any event beyond the control of the Tournament Organizers, the Tournament Organizers reserve the right to terminate the Tournament, or make such other decisions regarding the outcome as the Tournament Organizers deem appropriate.
- Any intentional distraction to the players while they are playing will result in immediate disqualification and removal from the premises, including turning off the game.
- Controllers are supplied by the tournament. If a controller is defective, a player can pause the game and notify the referee. If a player plays with a defective controller, all results are counted.
- All decisions will be made by the Tournament Organizers and are final. The Tournament Organizers may waive any of these rules in their sole discretion and/or may make determinations and rulings that are contrary to rules in the spirit of fairness.