The School of Education (SOED) has been training highly qualified teachers for nearly a century. The history of Florida Memorial University’s School of Education is dated back to 1892 when Sarah Blocker cofounded the Florida Baptist Academy, an elementary and secondary educational institution for African American girls and boys. In 1918, the Florida Baptist Academy changed its name to the Florida Normal and Industrial Institute. In 1931, the school received accreditation as a junior college from the Southern Association of College and Secondary Schools and the Florida State Department of Education. After several name changes, Florida Memorial University’s academic programs remain to include the School of Education. Currently, the School of Education has prepared 1 out of 4 black teachers serving schools in the tri-county school districts in South Florida.