AIDS is the more advanced stage of HIV infection. When the immune system CD4 cells drop to a very low level, a person’s ability to fight infection is lost.
How Can You Protect Yourself From Getting HIV?
- Use latex condoms (rubbers) whenever you have any type of sex (vaginal, anal, or oral).
- Don’t use condoms made from animal products.
- Use water-based lubricants. Oil-based lubricants can weaken condom.
- Never share needles to take drugs.
- Avoid getting drunk or high. People who are drunk or high may be less likely to protect themselves.
How Can You Prevent HIV From Progressing to AIDS?
You can help prolong your life by taking good care of yourself and developing a good relationship with an experienced doctor specializing in HIV and AIDS.
How Do People Get HIV?
- oral, vaginal, or anal sex without using a condom.
- Injecting drugs with a needle that has also been used by someone infected with HIV.
- Using the same needle as someone with HIV when you get a tattoo.