Rules Governing All Intramural Sports
- All participants must be a current faculty/staff, & student with a valid University ID. ID checks will made throughout the season. All participants are subject to an ID check at any time by the Director.
- Team captains will be responsible for knowing the rules and informing their team of these rules. Captains will be held accountable for team’s behavior.
- Game time is forfeit time. Teams must show up with the minimum number (5) to begin a game. If a team has three (3) players or less at any time, the game is over.
- Two forfeits will result in that team’s expulsion from the league.
- Fighting will result in either the individual(s) or the entire team(s) expelled from the league.
- Absolutely no alcohol in playing areas.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct (profanity, aggression, harassment) will be penalized according to its severity. Ejected players must leave the gym immediately.
- A player may only play for one team.
- Teams may have players with prior collegiate experience (Div II or higher) and alumni on their roster. Players must be at least one year removed from his/her playing experience.
- All participants must play minimum of (4) games before the playoff.
All NCAA Basketball Rules will apply with the following modifications:
- Games will consist of two (2) 15-minute halves. Clock will run until the final minute of the first half and the final two minutes of the second half, or if a team calls a timeout. Inside one minute (first half) two minutes (second half) clock will stop on all dead ball situations. Officials may stop the clock at any time.
- Each team gets two (2) two timeouts per half.
- Half time will be 3 minutes long.
- Overtime will consist of three minute periods with regular clock until the tie is broken. Teams will be given one timeout in overtime.
- Players get five (5) fouls. After six (6) team fouls, a bonus will be awarded (1/1).
- All technical fouls will result in two (2) shots and possession. One technical will result in a player’s ejection*. Flagrant fouls may result in ejection.
- Substitutions can only be made on dead balls and must be beckoned by the referee. Illegal substitution will result in a technical.
- All players must be signed in at the scorer’s table before the game starts.
- Absolutely no jewelry or hats. This is a safety precaution. Violation is a technical.
- Unusual circumstances that occur during the game that are not mentioned in the rules will be at the discretion of the referee. Decisions are final.
- Games begin with a jump ball, and then possessions will be determined according to the alternate possession rule.
- Shots made beyond the 3-point arc will count for 3 points.
- MERCY RULE: 20-point margin in last two minutes of game.
- *Ejected players must meet with Director before playing again.
- A roster limit of 10 players will be enforced.
Any questions concerning league play should be directed to Rodney Carter at 305-626-3688.