Students MUST reapply for their financial aid yearly. The priority deadline for FAFSA to be completed and all missing documents turned in is December 31, 2016.
Florida Memorial University offers financial assistance to eligible students primarily through Federal and State funded programs. To be considered for assistance you will need to complete the following:
- Request your Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) at www.fsaid.ed.gov. Your FSA ID is used to electronically apply for federal student aid and access your federal student aid records online. Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature. Be sure to keep your FSA ID in a safe place.
- Dependent students: Parent/Guardian will also need to request a FSA ID.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.FAFSA.gov. The result of your FAFSA is called the Student Aid Report (SAR) and it summarizes the data you reported on your application. To ensure timely completion of your financial aid package PLEASE CHOOSE THE DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL OPTION when completing your application.
- Florida Memorial University’s School Code is 001486
- You can complete your FAFSA using 2015 Tax Forms
- Priority Deadline: December 31, 2016
- Submit Required Documents: In order to receive an award, you must complete any missing documents. Admitted students can find out and access required documents by using their student financial aid portal; the LION AID SYSTEM. The portal can be accessed via the University website at www.fmuniv.edu/FAFORMS.
- LION AID SYSTEM: Students must use their student ID number to gain access.
- For Example: P00012345
- Complete the Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG) Application: (FL RESIDENTS ONLY) In order to qualify for Florida State funds you must complete the FRAG application at www.fmuniv.edu/FA. Florida residents are required to provide two forms of Florida residency documentation. These documents MUST prove residency for at least 12 consecutive months, prior to enrolling in school. A list of eligible documents are listed on the back of the FRAG application.
- Dependent students must provide proof that parent(s) are Florida residents.
- Complete Verification: (Only if selected by FAFSA) Review your (SAR) student aid report that was sent to your email address listed on the FAFSA. FOR STEP BY STEP VERIFICATION, PLEASE SEE THE FMU VERIFICATION GUIDE or visit www.fmuniv.edu/FA for more information.
- Use the DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL to transfer IRS data directly to your FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov)
- Request IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPTS at www.IRS.gov or 1 (800) 908-9946.
- Complete UNCF General Application: Visit www.UNCF.org to complete the general application. Also, review UNCF’s website for other scholarship opportunities. The Office of Financial Aid conducts regular scholarship workshops. Visit the Office of Financial Aid for more details.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling: for your Federal Direct Stafford Loans. MPN and Entrance Counseling only have to be completed once. Both the MPN and Entrance Counseling can be completed at the following website: www.studentloans.gov.
- Parent PLUS Loan Option: Parent(s) can apply for a Direct PLUS Loan to assist with college expenses. If the loan is denied, student can qualify for an additional $4,000 (freshmen or sophomore) and $5,000 (Junior or Senior) in the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Parent can apply by completing the PLUS Loan request form (www.fmuniv.edu/FA) or applying directly on the web at www.studentloans.gov using the parent FSA ID.
- If PLUS loan is added to student account, the parent must complete a PLUS Loan Counseling & MPN.
- Accept your Award: To accept your awards, click on the “Your Awards” Tab from the when logged in to the Lion Aid System. If your financial aid application is incomplete and you’re missing required documentation your financial aid will not be disbursed.
- Alternative Loans Options: Private alternative loans help bridge the remaining gap from the awarded amount compared to the amount needed to meet COA. A separate application is required directly with the lender. Below are lenders you and your Parent may want to consider.
- www.salliemae.com (SMART loan) 1 (888) 272-5543
- www.discoverstudentloans.com 1 (877) 728-3030
- www.wellsfargo.com 1 (800) 658-3567
Please note: If you plan to file a FAFSA and want Florida Memorial University to receive it, it is required that provide your social security number to the Admissions Department. If you have already applied for admission and have not reported your SSN on your application, please contact the Office of Admissions if you would like to report it now.