Florida Memorial University traces its history to two schools that ultimately became the Florida Memorial University we know today. In 1879 the Florida Baptist Institute was founded in Live Oak, Florida; and in 1892, the Florida Baptist Academy was established in Jacksonville. Decades later the two schools merged in Saint Augustine (1941). In 1968 the college relocated to Miami to its present and permanent site. In December 2004, the institution’s name was changed to Florida Memorial University with the announcement being made at the Founders’ Convocation on March 18, 2005.

Florida Baptist Institute

Live Oak – 1879

Florida Baptist Academy

Jacksonville – 1892

Florida Memorial College

Live Oak – 1918

Florida Normal and Industrial Institute

Saint Augustine – 1918

Florida Normal and Industrial Memorial Institute

Saint Augustine – 1941

Florida Normal and Industrial College

Saint Augustine – 1942

Florida Normal and Industrial Memorial College

Saint Augustine – 1950

Florida Memorial College

Saint Augustine – 1963

Florida Memorial College

Miami – 1968

Florida Memorial University

Miami – December 2004